Barry Donaghy Presents on UN Sustainable Development Goals
We are delighted to announce that our Managing Director Barry Donaghy will be a panelist and speaker at the forthcoming Sustainable Development Goals Roadshow, in Belfast.
The theme of the event is ‘Making Global Goals Local Business’ and it will centre around the Global Goals adopted by United Nation member states in 2015.
The 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) are a universal call to action to “end poverty, protect the planet and ensure that all people enjoy peace and prosperity.”
Here at ISL Waste Management we believe that for the goals to be reached, we have to responsibly address the issue of waste production and disposal. There are more than seven billion people in the world and we produce a LOT of waste. Recent studies suggest that half of that waste is not collected, treated or disposed of properly.
Goal 12 states that we must “ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns,” which means it’s essential that we find new ways of serving our growing populations and ever spreading urban areas.
Goal 14 states that we should strive to “conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development.” Therefore it’s imperative that we address the issue of plastic pollution and ocean waste.
Our MD Barry will be discussing here issues and more. He will be joined by fellow speakers:
- Steve Kenzie, Executive Director, UN Global Compact Network UK
- Nichola Hughes, Director, Sustainable Northern Ireland
- Alex Shepherd, Technical Controller, Suki Tea
- Kerry Melville, Coordinator, Belfast Food Network
- David Lindsay, Director of Environment, Ards and North Down Borough Council
Attending the event is free and registration can be completed here.
If you want answers to the questions:
- What are the Global Goals?
- Why should business care about the Goals?
- How can business contribute to achieving the Goals and benefit from doing so?
Join us at Making Global Goals Local Business – Belfast to find out.