Recycle Week 2017: Be A Waste Warrior For Northern Ireland!
Recycle Week 2017 starts on 25th September and we’re challenging you to join our team and become a waste warrior!
60% of items found in the average non-recyclable waste bin could have been recycled. It helps the environment, saves money and reduces waste too.
It all adds up. If you and your team started recycling today here’s what we could do:
- If we all recycled one more drinks can a week, we’d save £3 million a year
- Putting your used teabags into food waste bins will save almost £550,000 a year in landfill tax
- The energy saved from recycling one glass bottle could run a washing machine for ten minutes.
- If everyone recycled one toothpaste box it would save enough energy to run a fridge in over 2,000 homes for a year.
- If everyone recycled one aluminium aerosol can it would save enough energy to run 151,000 TVs for a year.
- If everyone recycled one newspaper or magazine a week we’d save enough energy to boil 2.2 billion cups of tea.
- Recycling saves nearly 1.9 million tonnes of CO2 a year – the equivalent of taking half a million cars off the road.
Busting Myths About General Waste
It’s in everyone’s best interests to recycle. Recycling makes sense both environmentally and economically. It saves money, creates jobs and avoids wasting resources.
A fifth of people believe anything can go in the general waste bin, but that’s just not true. Last year we spent £57 million landfilling items that could have been recycled instead – that’s money that could have been spent benefitting the community.
Recycling in Northern Ireland
Doing your bit to recycle is easy. Here’s just a few of the convenient ways you can recycle nearby.
At Home: In Northern Ireland community recycling facilities can be found at many locations. Recycle Now NI have a handy calculator to help you locate your nearest.
Most councils now require that you separate your recyclables from general waste. Many now require you to use stand alone food waste receptacles also. Check your local council website for more details.
At Work: In the workplace, your business should have robust waste management procedures in place, to ensure that the maximum amount of waste is being reused or recycled. We are Zero Waste company and send nothing to landfill. We have also saved many of our clients substantial sums, through streamlining their waste streams. If you would like some advice on recycling please get in touch.