Open Menu
Login Hamburger menu icon
Contact Us Contact Us

P&G Fairy & DELL Use Waste Ocean Plastic In New Products

The rise in ocean plastic and the subsequent, serious environmental effects have been covered widely in the media this year. Procter and Gamble have decided to address the issue in their newest packaging.

Sky launched their Ocean Rescue campaign earlier in 2017, with a series of programmes about the scale of the plastic problem. They backed it up with a series of online videos and interviews and the statistics were alarming to say the least.

P&G introduce Fairy Bottles made from ocean plasticP&G was listening and as a result of the increased focus on this environmental issue, they have launched the Fairy Ocean Plastic bottle, which is made completely from postconsumer recycled (PCR) plastic and ocean plastic. The breakdown is 10% ocean plastic, collected from around the globe, with the remaining 90% being formed from PCR plastic.

The new bottle will be released in the UK in 2018 and P&G bosses confirmed that the first run will be of 320,00. It’s the largest run of recyclable washing up liquid bottles in the world made using ocean plastic.

P&G have also announced that they are dedicated to diverting plastic waste from landfill and the oceans and will be improving and changing packaging for a number of their brands, including Dreft, Yes, Joy and Dawn.

Virginie Helias, vice president of global sustainability at P&G, comments: “As the world’s No. 1 dishwashing liquid globally and a much-loved brand in the U.K., we want to use Fairy to raise awareness about the plight of our ocean and raise awareness about the importance of recycling. Our consumers care deeply about this issue, and by using ocean plastic we hope to show that the opportunities are endless when we rethink our approach to waste.’’

Dell Ocean PlasticsRecently, computer manufacturer DELL also announced that they will be taking steps to impact on the ocean plastic issue.

Keen to address the fact that 8 million tonnes of plastic enter the ocean every year, the company will be processing plastics collected from the ocean and using them as part of a new packaging system for the XPS 13 2-In-1 laptop.